Some pointers to be considered during application as a graduate school candidate to our department:
(1) Carefully check the application guidelines for eligibility:
Admission information for Graduate School (International Health)
(2) Contact the professor at least 3 months before the application dateline.
Please send your resume and letter of motivation at the first contact.
(3) Upon agreement by the professor, we will have an informal interview for pre-screening, where the candidate will be evaluated for:
● Academic and research performance
● Potential to contribute to academic and research excellence at our department and School
● Knowledge and understanding on field of speciality
● Independence, professionalism, integrity and good work ethics
● Communication and language skills.
Our school requires a high level of language proficiency in English. As entrance examination and thesis defense will be conducted in English, the candidate will be evaluated for their ability to be able to answer field speciality questions and other general questions in English.
At this stage, we do not require English test results. However, candidates should demonstrate fluency and an excellent English language command during the pre-screen interview.
● Strong motivation and potential performance at our School as a leader in field
● Potential to contribute as a team member
● Willingness to learn and adapt to local work ethics and culture
(4) Pre-screen interview of about 30 minutes will be done online. The candidate may prepare slides for self-introduction, current research, future research plan and career plans (within 10-minutes). There is no fixed format for the presentation slides. The candidates will be informed on the outcome at the end of the pre-screen.
The evaluation scheme is closed to candidates and disclosure of the pre-screen evaluation is at the interviewer(s) discretion.
In principle, each candidate is offered one chance for pre-screen.
Please understand that the pre-screen results is final and should there be any dispute on the outcomes, the candidate may ask for another interview after resolving the issue (eg, if language command is insufficient, the candidate may request another interview after significant improvements and demonstrating that the issue has been solved).
The decision on the second pre-screen would be the last offer to the same department and, any requests beyond that will not be considered.
(5) Candidates do not have to dress up formally for the interview but being on time for the interview with a neat and tidy appearance will leave a better impression to the interviewer.
(6) The candidate should not read off from a script during the interview.
We have limited positions for graduate school and the position is offered only to the best candidates.
Acceptance at the pre-screen stage does not guarantee eventual support for entrance examination nor acceptance to our graduate school.
If the candidate decides to quit at any time/stage, the candidate should inform the professor as soon as possible. Other candidates may then be considered for the position.
In principle, the candidate will not be considered again as a candidate for graduate school program at our department after quiting prior to admittance.
The candidates should ensure that they have financially able to support their own tuition fees and living expenses throughout their term at our graduate school.
☞For further information on scholarships
☞For further information on part-time jobs